Wednesday, April 22, 2026

Whisk(e)y Wednesday 2026-04-22

All right, here we go with another random blind tasting. I saved off 2oz samples of past bottles before finishing them, and I grabbed one to try tonight - let's see what I think.

On the nose, this has spearmint, dark brown sugar, and honey. It seems maybe more rye that bourbon, but I think it could be either one from the nose. The taste I'm getting wood, brown sugar and some spicy heat. I would guess this is around 55% ABV or so. The finish is brown sugar, has a proof hug here too - might be even higher proof. 

With water the taste is more spearmint, nose is more brown sugar - finish is brown sugar and spearmint. It did tame down the heat considerably. Overall this is pretty good, and I would rate it a 3.5/5.0 tonight.

This was the Uncle Nearest Rye - 50% ABV. When I had this during the 2025 24 Days of Whisk(e)y, I was not a fan, and rated it 3.0/5.0. It just seemed flat and that night I thought it was around 40% ABV. Just goes to show that tastes can change night to night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment