Port Askaig 110 Proof (that's the name... and the proof, go figure!) 55% ABV
Highland Park 12 Year 43% ABV
Compass Box Peat Monster Cask Strength 56.7% ABV
Kilchoman Cask Strength 57% ABV
and the bonus pour is ...
Ardbeg Wee Beastie (5 Year) 47.4% ABV
The Ardbeg I haven't taste tested since 2020 and I thought it might be a good addition to the mix. I poured these and randomized them - let's see what I think about them.
Glass 1 : Nose is sweet and BBQ, some rubber and some dirt too. The taste is sweet with ash and some pepper. The finish is heat, ash in the back with some sweet too. This seems well balanced for sure, I'll rate is a 4.25 today as I really enjoyed it.
Glass 2 : Nose I get some ash, some sweet and some char. The nose seems hotter and on the 2nd round I get a touch of mint too. The taste is hot spice, some sweet, ash, tar ... and then more sweet. The finish is hot pepper, then sugar, it lingers nicely, then I get some simple syrup and ash way in the back. I'll rate it a 4.0.
Glass 3 : I get a sweet BBQ and pepper. On the second nose I get more heat and ash in the back. The taste is candy sweet, with some ash and char too - peppery after a bit. The finish i candy sweet as well, then pepper, a nice tingle with some heat. I will say that this feels one note-ish to me, but that note is good. I'll rate it a 4.0 as well.
Glass 4 : This one seems less peaty on the nose ... it's sweet and has some heat too. The taste does have some ash, along with some sweet and pepper. The finish is peppery that turns to sweet and savory, it lingers with a nice tingle. I'll will also rate this one 4.0.
Glass 5 : I get matchstick on the nose, some sulfur and some sweet as well. The taste is fruity with some sweet, some matchstick and this is a bit prickly - it's a bit proofy. The finish is fruity, sweet and has some sulfur as well. I'll rate this one 4.25.
Trying the ones I rated 4.0 - I'd have to say Glass 3 was my least favorite, with Glass 2 being my favorite of the 3. Which means Glass 2, Port Askaig was #3 tonight, with Glass 4, the Highland Park being #4, and Glass 3, the Compass Box coming in last place. It was a tough crowd for sure.
Trying Glass 1 vs Glass 5 ... I have to give it to Glass 1. Glass 5 turned out to be the Kilchoman, and was #2 tonight. Which leaves Ardbeg Wee Beastie as my favorite for the night. I currently don't have a bottle of this, and should pick up another one for sure. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment