Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Whisk(e)y Wednesday 2026-09-02

Happy September! Whisk(e)y Wednesday time yet again ... here we go!

On the nose, this seems a bit proofy, but it is the first drink of the night, so I could just need to acclimate too. I am getting brown sugar, touch of orange. Maybe this is a high proof rye, but it could be bourbon ... maybe the orange should steer me to Irish or even Scotch. I seem to get a little dill and wood on the nose too. The taste ... malty, brown sugar, wood, touch bitter, and a bit of heat too. On the finish, I get the heat still, with brown sugar/molasses in back. The sweet lingers, bitter wood in the middle. I'm thinking Cask Strength Irish - likely Redbreast.

With water, the nose is still sweet, but I also get some spearmint now. The taste, sweeter, honey, molasses, woody, malty. The orange has seemed to go away. The finish is malt and wood. Overall, I'm enjoying this - I do think it's CS Irish, and I'll rate it 4.0/5.0

It was Irish - but not Cask Strength. Redbreast Lustau, 46% ABV, Matured in traditional bourbon and sherry casks for a period of 9-12 years, then finished for 1 additional year in first fill hand selected sherry butts that have been seasoned with the finest Oloroso sherry from the prestigious Bodegas Lustau. I rated this 4.0/5.0 during 24 Days of Whisk(e)y 2025, but then during the Irish Whiskey Shootout, I rated it 3.5/5.0 ... tonight I enjoyed it (:

No comments:

Post a Comment